Couples therapy helps resolve forms of distress in a relationship between two people. By moving gradually toward mutual acceptance and understanding, your relationship can use strategies built to fulfill each partner. With trust, a healthier attitude, and reflection, you may find a deeper level of love and commitment.
Your relationship can provide the energy, support, and enthusiasm needed to feel happy and optimistic.
Here are signs that counseling may be right for your relationship:
- You feel like you are living separate lives.
- The same arguments appear repeatedly.
- Sex is almost non-existent, or it is unpleasant for one or both partners.
- Someone is cheating or having an affair.
- The family finances are hidden from one another (”financial infidelity”).
- Your partner is now “the enemy.”
- Intimacy is withheld as a form of punishment.
- Problems are ignored, with one or both partners unwilling to resolve them.
- The relationship feels like it is more difficult than it should be to maintain.
- There is an ongoing feeling of disinterest and dislike between the partners.